woman weight loss

5 Things to Know Before You Get Liposuction

Liposuction is commonly thought of as a surgical procedure designed to produce weight loss. However, there are a lot of aspects of getting liposuction that most people aren’t familiar with. Liposuction isn’t simply a speedy slim-down method. In fact, your body will need time to recover and isn’t ideal for everyone, and there is no single-procedure solution for trimming the fat.

1. Liposuction Does Not Equal Weight Loss

Liposuction doesn’t effectively remove visceral fat, which is located behind the abdominal muscles. Liposuction is designed to remove subcutaneous fat which is closer to the surface, located below the skin. Visceral fat is the actual culprit behind Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and other serious conditions. However, it is only the culprit when there is too much of it. Our bodies need some fat.

Also, lipo is only ideal for those looking to shed a few pounds, not those who are obese. In fact, you’ll lose only about 5–7 pounds from a liposuction procedure.

2. You Might Not See Results for a Few Months

weight loss photo

Lipo doesn’t provide you with overnight results. It could take weeks or even a few months for results to show. You will have to wait for fluid content and swelling to go down, and that can take some time. About 80% of patients see results by the end of the first month, but the remaining 20% will have to wait about another month to notice results.

3. Know How to Find the Right Surgeon

liposuction photo
Photo by Vermon Love

Finding the best surgeon is crucial for anyone considering lipo. A good surgeon should be board-certified and have numerous positive results and reviews from patients. You will want to find a surgeon who is more focused on getting great results than they are on making big bucks off of their patients. Make sure you pick the doctor you feel the most comfortable with and have the most faith in. A doctor like Dr. Robert J. Troell, M.D., F.A.C.S. may be able to help you.

4. Expect Bruising, Swelling, and Pain Afterward

Lipo is surgery, and surgery is almost never pain-free. Except to feel moderate pain for a few days after the surgery, but the discomfort will eventually subside. You will experience bruising and swelling in the area where the surgery occurs, although you should expect to see about 80% of the swelling go away within the first month. This is why you will not see results right away.

5. Plan Your Healthy Post-surgery Lifestyle

weight loss photo

Lipo isn’t a fix-all solution to weight loss and management. It removes fat cells but doesn’t guarantee you won’t gain weight in the future. Maintaining a healthy diet and keeping physically active are the more sure-fire ways of assuring you don’t gain weight back.

Liposuction can be helpful for those who struggle to naturally rid themselves of a little extra fat and get a more toned look. Since it is a surgery, precautions should always be taken. If you are considering going in for lipo, be sure you ask your surgeon all questions that come to your mind and get a detailed explanation from them of what to expect before, during, and after your procedure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *